Nothing is less weird to you than being a sender or a receiver—or even being both at the same
So, yeah, it's strange how many communication theories there are. I’ve been thinking about
this proliferation recently, probably because it happens to be the last week a seminar about
theorizing communication when you need to...
- Get rid of uncertainty the first time you meet somebody
- Build intimacy through gradual self-disclosure
- Make choices about who to vote for
- Tell stories that make sense to a particular audience
- Resolve conflict with a teenager or a neighbor
In these last days of the spring semester of 2018, my students and I are having a fun
time organizing all these concepts and terminologies and applications and methodologies ahead
of a cumulative exam next week. It may be true that nothing is so practical as a good theory. But
I think my students would say that nothing is so impractical as 249 theories.